Do you feel like the ends of your hair are perpetually dry and damaged? We’ve all been there. Unfortunately there is no way to fix a strand of hair once it has split. In which case, it’s best to cut your losses, get a trim, and start with a clean slate. The good news is there are ways to prevent your hair from split ends. Just follow these simple tips and you will see a big difference in your hair growth and strength!
▪ Use a deep conditioner: Apply two times a week, and let it soak into your hair for 2-4 mins before you rinse it out.
▪ Use a wide-tooth comb: After you apply conditioner in the shower, run a wide-tooth comb through hair (from ends to root) until all the tangles are out. This prevents the snaps and breakage that can happen when brushing damp hair out of the shower.
▪ Avoid using a brush on wet hair; a wide-toothed comb is gentler.
▪ Try to cut back on shampooing and heat styling. Both can leave hair dry and more apt to split. If you shampoo everyday try to skip a day and just rinse/condition.
▪ Take biotin & folic acid: I’m a big believer in vitamins! Nutrients build the proteins that make up your hair strands. These two vitamins in particular, folic acid and biotin, both have been shown to promote hair health, length and thickness!
I don’t know about you but when I see beautiful long hair like this, I ask myself ‘How come my hair won’t grow that long?’ or ‘How can I make my hair grow faster?’ well everyones hair is different but there are some tricks you can try that may help!
Massage your scalp: Massaging your scalp can increase your hair growth by stimulating blood flow to the scalp. Commit yourself to a 1-2 minute massage before shampooing — every time you wash you hair!
Eat a healthy diet: Eating healthy foods will increase your hair growth! Protein and healthy fats are essential for hair growth, so make sure your meals contain a balanced amount of these! Also be sure you are consuming enough iron and zinc, as a deficiency in these vitamins has been known to cause hair loss.
Take biotin: So I have started taking biotin this last year to grow my hair out for my wedding, and I can honestly say it has made a difference! It’s a B-complex vitamin that offers benefits such a stimulating rapid hair, nail growth, and aiding metabolism!
Trim your hair: Last but not least…you should get your hair trimmed at least every few months. Many people ask how could trimming the bottom of your hair affect growth from the root? And how will it grow when I just cut it back to where it was?! “Think of a split end as a run in a stocking,” Once that run starts, it’s going to continue all the way up the stocking—and that’s the same thing that happens to your hair. The split travels all the way up the strand, causing it to become weak and break off. So it’s not that getting a trim helps your hair to grow faster — it’s that it prevents breakage from occurring at the ends of your strands, allowing you to more quickly reach your desired hair length! Otherwise your hair will just continue to break off and you will be at a standstill. Trimming your hair keeps the ends from looking stringy & makes your locks appear fuller.